What is Flexible Seating?
Flexible seating is a method of classroom management where students have options and choice for where they sit. Their choices may may be driven by physical needs/comfort, learning styles, and/or collaboration needs. It allows students to work in positions that are most comfortable or effective for them.
Flexible seating has become the rage in education, and whether you are a veteran looking for ideas or a novice looking to learn more information, this is THE playlist for you.
Choose your own learning adventure! Just click on the links that pique your interest and learn in the method that works best for you!
NOTE: Before you commit, make sure that the materials you add to your classroom are safe and allowable according to your school administration and fire codes.
- Flexible Seating: 4 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Ditch the Desks by Betsy Lancy
- 16 Awesome Flexible-Seating Classrooms That’ll Blow Your Teacher Mind by Bored Teachers
- 7 Outstanding K–8 Flexible Classrooms: K–8 educators from across the country give you a peek at their classrooms—and explain how they managed the transformations by Stephen Merrill
- Top 10 Benefits of a Flexible-Seating Classroom by Smith System
- Keep the “Flex” in Flexible Seating: Why Traditional Student Desks and Chairs Still Matter by Smith System
- The California Department of Education: FLEXIBLE LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS
- Flexible Seating and Student-Centered Classroom Redesign by Kayla Delzer
- Literacy Without Worksheets: Flexible Seating-Affordable Ideas and Freebies byBridget S
- Flexible Classroom Seating from Literacy Loves Company
- Flexible Classrooms: Providing the Learning Environment That Kids Need by Edutopia
- Classroom Tour! 5th Grade Flexible Seating by Mr. Riedl (Long video with lots of great ideas for managing the flexible classroom)
- 2017 2018 Flexible Seating Classroom Tour by Apples and Tiaras (she goes through everything in her whole classroom, there is a short section on her flexible seating that starts at 16:50)
- Flexible Seating by Maggie White, Jack Harrington, Alexis Beck, Cody Burns & Isabel Stolberg (presentation)
- Flexible Seating by Yanina C. Jimenez (presentation)